Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Days 13-15

Birthday weekend! Could I have been more productive? Probably so! Much regret?? Not really! We had a great weekend with our family and friends. We've had illness sweeping through the house once again but luckily it's been fairly contained. I did accomplish getting my office cleaned, now I just have to file papers! Woohoo!! As I prepare to sleep tonight, I have a clean kitchen, dining room, office and living room...not bad for a crazy weekend! I do so love my family and they are all very helpful. My goal is to have everything organized so that the kids can all have a part in keeping things organized easily.
I just finished an organizational magazine with some great tips. Tomorrow I will empty my kitchen tools/gadgets drawer into a box; take out only what I need and after using it and cleaning it, replace it into the drawer. After a month, I'll have the ones I used the most in my drawer and will be able to donate the extras to charity or a yard sale....a great tip! I enjoyed many of the tips and will use them, but this will be the first! It's simple and will quickly eliminate my overcrowded drawers! I'll share more as I begin putting them into practice. I haven't been a great organizer over the years, but I really do love the way it makes me feel; just wish it hadn't taken me so much time to begin to conquer. Oh well, one project at a time!
I once heard it said that there are 2 parts to success...#1-get something started. #2-don't quit! And of course we all know the saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"  So here I am...starting projects (again) and not planning to quit! I have an organizational goal and I plan to succeed! I plan to have more time for other things in my life--my church, my kids, my business, my hubby, my friends, my reading, my personal Bible study, and my hobbies--it WILL happen! It WILL be incredible for not just myself, but for my husband (who is more than patient with me!), and for my children! I definitely want them to have good organization skills to take with them in life. The funny thing is though, one of them is very organized and could probably teach me a thing or two. But, it's just part of our personality and we can all learn from one another.
I took an organizational personality quiz tonight and was feeling a bit "small" and "messy" as I answered the questions but then it turned on me as I read my personality...I thought it fit me. I was a mix between two styles:
1)The Artist-creative and free-flowing. ~visual in thinking and learning, ~very loyal to my friends, ~often late for appointments and sometimes unpredictable, ~a pack rat.
Organizing strategy: tackle small areas, set a timer to stay focused, use organizing supplies that appeal to my visual nature.
2)The Party Planner-spontaneous and fun-loving. ~a collector, ~the "fun aunt", ~easily sidetracked, ~always striving to enjoy life and live in the moment.
Organizing strategy: work hard to stay focused, make sure I have all the necessary items before I start a project, use clear bins to see what I have.
I had to laugh when I read both of these because they are definitely both me. Then it hit me again that everyone is different and responds differently to learning and doing. I need some 'pretty' organizing, but mostly practical organizing. It's okay to not be perfect in organization, but be functional and just get organized! God does want us to enjoy life, but I'm quite certain there's more time for enjoying when life's "stuff" has a place and is put in it's proper place. When it's not, life is filled with a little more chaos than I believe my God wants in our home.

No comments: